Image Alt tags in Linux

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Fri Nov 21 21:49:58 CST 2003

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Jason Clinton wrote:

> Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
>
> | I came across a web site that uses the "ALT" tag for images to provide
> price
> | information.  The image used is consistently a dollar or euro sign.
>
> The 'title' tag was supposed to be used for that. Mozilla has the
> correct behavior; IE doesn't. Another unfortunate fatality in standards
> wars...

Yup.  Displaying the ALT text in a tooltip is apparently against the HTML
4 spec, but you'd think that the Mozilla team would at least provide an
option allowing it.  After digging around a little I ran across a Mozilla
XPI package that adds this functionality:

    http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/_popupalt.html.en

I just tested it on my copy of Mozilla 1.5, and it appears to work fine.