Netintercept and SSH Decryption

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Fri Nov 21 17:22:00 CST 2003

 I'm not particularly concerned about this ability to decrypt ssh traffic.
What seemed nefarious at first (and which following the post I've seen
nobody else has investigated) isn't exactly cracking ssh to begin with.

If you follow the link that Jonathan Hutchins provided, you'll see the
product.  Click on it and you will wind up here:
http://www.sandstorm.net/products/netintercept/

A quick glance at the product description gives you this:
Decrypts SSH2 from Modified Servers
Monitors Traffic while Invisible on the Network
Finds Cleartext Passwords
Offers Secure Remote Administration
Filters or Records all Your Traffic
Enables Users to Drill Down through Connections
Catches Header and Port Spoofing
Reassembles Packets into Streams
Full-Content Inspection & Analysis
View Email, Web Pages, and File Contents

Note that "Modified Servers" is used in this instance.  The point here is
this device/software is designed to allow an employer to keep tabs on their
systems, and what their users are doing with them.  IANAL, but I'm pretty
sure there is precedence out there that makes this perfectly legal,
considering the systems are owned by the company, and so is the employee
while on the clock.  (Or using the systems even while off the clock, for
that matter.)

While it has been discussed that sending an e-book or some other such item
could put the company at risk, this stuff doesn't really decrypt those
anyway.  If you've independently encrypted a file, and your activity has put
you on the radar, I expect human resources would be within their rights to
terminate you if said activity is in violation of the acceptable use policy
of the company.  While it's possible there may be a company stupid enough to
use a product like this without having an AUP in place, I doubt it.  To much
$$$ at stake.

Just my $.02 Euro
Dustin