Netintercept and SSH Decryption

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Fri Nov 21 00:10:04 CST 2003

All of them. IANAL, but the Economic Espionage Act of 1996
criminalized the theft of business-related intellectual property.
That would include the capture of at least some data passing between
two corporate locations of a company. Just because people do it and it
is a big business doesn't mean it can't be prosecuted.

> If it isn't specified in a law on the "books" then I'd wager it's
> perfectly legal since the Internet is publicly accessible with no
> ownership. The word public is powerful, meaning no privacy unless you
> provide your own.
It is specified on the books (see above stated law). Yes, but we were
talking about cracking encrypted data, which is by definition
*not* public.

> /*
> Just as it is illegal to tap into someone's phone line
> without a warrant
> or permission.
> */
>
> A phone line is private and falls under different legal terms
> and laws.
Nope.