Netintercept and SSH Decryption

Paul Taylor paul at kcnetcare.com
Thu Nov 20 22:13:37 CST 2003

I just love the legal advice that comes from a KCLUG forum. One thing I
know is illegal is giving legal advice in a State which you don't have a
legal license. Go figure, lawyers write the laws.

/*
Also, 'sniffing' data from the internet is definitely not legal
unless you have permission to do so from the parties you are sniffing.
*/

Which State are you referring too? I'm not aware of any such "law" or
legal prescedence.

If it isn't specified in a law on the "books" then I'd wager it's
perfectly legal since the Internet is publicly accessable with no
ownership. The word public is powerful, meaning no privacy unless you
provide your own.

/*
Just as it is illegal to tap into someone's phone line without a warrant
or permission.
*/

A phone line is private and falls under different legal terms and laws.