sound on the laptop

Richard A. Franklin RAldenFranklin at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 20 18:12:03 CST 2003

Jason Clinton wrote:

> Richard A. Franklin wrote:
>
> | Jason: You conjured sounds on my Tecra 8100, and now I would like to
> | recreate that change, and save the changes. Sound is a good thing!
> | So I will be looking for your post for that procedure.
>
> At a console:
>
> $ su -
> Password:
> # mount /boot
> # cd /boot/grub
> # nano -w menu.lst
>
> Go to the very long line that begins with something like 'vmlinuz' and
> add " noapm apm=off" to the end of it. Hit CTRL-O, Enter, CTRL-X.
>
> Reboot.
>
> That should do it. This process is different from what I did last night
> because this is permanent; what I did last night was just tweak the
> settings as the computer was booting.
>
> What we are doing: The kernel is not the first thing that loads when
> your computer starts; the bootloader is. We are telling the bootloader
> (Grub) to tell the kernel (vmlinuz) that we do not want APM to come on.
> Also, command line options for the kernel that the kernel doesn't
> understand get passed to init (the third thing the starts after power
> on). Init may decide (or not) to do special things based on the commands
> it receives. In this case, it may decide not to start 'apmd' based on
> the the command line options. apmd is the 'user space' daemon
> responsible for communicating with the APM BIOS through the kernel's
> interfaces.

Thanks for all of the extra effort to help with the sound, moreover, to
explain the reasons
for the process! Although this solution did not work with this
particular hardware/distro combo,
I still learned some things in the attempt that are far more important
than just having sound on my laptop at this time.

Rick