kernel 2.6.0 test9 and lsmod problem

Justin jtrae at sunflower.com
Thu Nov 20 15:35:13 CST 2003

> lsmod is reporting the below under kernel 2.6.0test9  The kernel is
> running on a debian sarge box that is updated for all packages as of
> 11/18/2003 @ 12:50AM
>
> FYI: there seems to be a visible performance increase!
>
> what is QM_Modules? what does this mean? is there a fix?
>
> thank you.
>
> =>lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> lsmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented

One thing you might try is:

apt-get install --reinstall module-init-tools

As an aside I just today installed 2.6.0-test9 on my debian unstable
laptop.  Out of the box running make oldconfig didn't correctly pick
either my network driver nor my sound driver.  Compiling the nic into
the kernel rather than module fixed my network .  I will say however that
I don't really experience the performance increase everyone is raving
about.  Maybe because I choose the preemptive kernel option, I'll try
without tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.  Using a preemptive
patched 2.4 kernel on Gentoo didn't make a difference either on an older
machine. This debian one is a P4 and it's always been pretty snappy to use
so maybe there isn't much increase to realize.  What's your hardware and
what did you choose on the preemptive option?