Meeting spaces change?

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Thu Nov 20 10:20:28 CST 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:49:54 -0600 Jason Clinton <me at jasonclinton.com>
writes:

> Last night, several of us spoke of the possibility of changing the
> locations of the KCLUG meetings in light of the impending library
> move and the increasing degredation of service from Denny's.
> I suggested that we have it at the UMKC School of Nurning
> building on hospital hill at which I work -- it's only six blocks
> south of where we currently meet.
> We would meet from 6:30 PM 'til roughly 10:00 PM. If I happen to be
> there, we can stay later since I have a key to the building.
> However, the agreement to provide the space would be with the
> LUG and not me specifically, so if I ever leave, we wouldn't lose
> the space.

I'd be okay with the location change

> The room is much smaller than the one we have at the
> library; it's the size of an average class room.  It's carpeted
> and has tables in it.

We use less than half of the room we have right now.  Also
sounds like the new location has easier access to outlets.

> It has a DHCP network drop

That we can use with the knowledge of the room provider?  :)

> and an SVGA projector and screen (good for presentations).

Curiousity: are SVGA projectors listed on the monitor list in
the XFree86 setup lists?

> We can also have food in the room; it's been suggested
> that we order in food (like Italian, Mexican or Chineese)
> since we havethe longer meeting time.
>
> We wouldn't have to change our meeting times. However, the
> possibility exists that we could be preempted by a class or
> other function.  Weekends are guaranteed to always be available,
> in that case.
>
> I have preliminary go-ahead from the building administrator. I'll
> have final approval tomarrow.
>
> What do you think? Please voice your opinions. If we make this
> change, it will be permanent and will take effect within two to three
> months from now. If you don't like this idea, complain now or
> forever hold your peace.

Another question about the *current* location: what exit is the right
exit to take if I'm coming up northbound I-35 from the Kansas Side?
Should I be taking I-70 East, or continue north on I-35 past Bartle Hall?
 I ended up driving around in an almost complete circle to get to the Oak
exit off southbound I-35 (I-35 North to I-70 East, then all the way
around to I-35 South again).

Yahoo Maps couldn't believe I wanted to go to an address on 12th Street,
and directed me to 12th Avenue instead (way too far North).