Slackware and other things

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Thu Nov 20 10:20:18 CST 2003

Well, finally got BitTorrent to download the two Install CDs for
Slackware 9.1, so sorry Debian folks, I'm going with the distro I'm most
familiar with, at least in cramming it onto low-end hardware.

I'm still going to try Debian 3.0 Rc1 (the one it turns out I downloaded
awhile ago) on an old Pentium 100 Mhz system with 32MB RAM and a 1GB hard
drive.  It's going to be a text-only system, and I'll probably use it
mostly for crunching SETI at Home data packets.

One thing I've been really happy with in Linux is that it always
recognizes and uses any CD Burner I've thrown at it.  Windows, of course,
requires additional software to use any CD Burner, and if the included
limited software does not work, you have to buy additional software to
make it work.  And you can burn CDs in Linux while doing half a dozen
other things and never coaster a CD (one which doesn't have physical
errors, that is).

And in a few days I'm going to drop an AverTV Stereo TV Card, one of
those 32MB AGP cards, a spare 15GB hard drive, and 256MB RAM, into a AMD
1.3GHz system to try out one of the Linux "Tivo" solutions.  Probably
mostly as a digital VCR, rather than a "pause a live show" box.