Slackware ISOs no longer downloadable?

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Tue Nov 18 11:11:21 CST 2003

So I'm discovering that Morphix LightGUI CD won't boot on my laptop, and
both boot floppies you can get for Morphix fail to recognize the CDROM
drive on the laptop (Mandrake and Windows boot floppies  both recognize
the laptop CDROM drive).

So I go to download the latest Slackware.  I can install most of the
Slackware 9.1 stuff from CD, then install XFree86 v3.3.6 (for my laptop's
video hardware) from my Slackware 7.1 CD set.

www.slackware.org, click on Get Slack.  Pick an archive.

Hmmm, this archive has no ISOs.  Pick another one...and another one...and
another one...and another one...Huh?

Not a single Slackware archive has a Slackware ISO left on it!   Just a
note: "sorry, we don't store Slackware ISOs anymore" on ALL OF THEM.

Went to www.LinuxISO.org to see if they have any there.  Nope, their
direct links to ISOs don't work either.

Oh wait, LinuxISO.org does have a link to "BitTorrent links to Slackware
ISOs".

Fine.  Installed BitTorrent 3.3, started a download.  "Unable to connect
to peers".  Seems BitTorrent isn't any good (and I KNEW THIS) unless
someone else is downloading the same thing at the same time...except that
there is nowhere, not a single FTP or HTTP site, to download Slackware
ISOs from in the first place!

So what gives?  Did Patrick Volkerding just decide that people no longer
*need* any Slackware 9.1 ISOs?

Is this all a massive plot to make certain that people who can't buy
boxed CD sets won't have access to Slackware anymore?  Sorry, I'm still
not a "Linux from Scratch" or a "Linux after you install all the base
packages yourself" guy yet.