laptop question

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Tue Nov 18 11:11:18 CST 2003

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 23:52:35 -0600 "Jonathan Hutchins"
<hutchins at tarcanfel.org> writes:
> [...]

[snip!]

> The latest Linux Magazine just gave a thumbs-up review
> to a rack-mount keyboard/LCD combination that is priced
> just under $2,500.  Those people are criminally insane!
> You could get a great keyboard and LCD monitor for well
> under $500.  For $2,500 it should be a kick-ass workstation!
> That kind of insanity shows up in what hardware gets support.
> It shows up in SCSI being a preferred protocol, when most
> of can afford IDE.  It shows up in $250 video cards getting
> drivers while generic $35 cards go without.

And you've gotta wonder about "generic $35 cards [going]
without".  You'd think that the kind of card the average person
can afford would be the *first card*, not the last card, to get
a driver written for it.

I sometimes wonder about that one, given the history of
Linux drivers.  Back when Linux was first getting started,
low-end hardware got drivers first, because there was
tons of used low-end hardware about, and the low-end
stuff was all anyone could afford.

Now that all the great Linux people have fantastic jobs
doing Linux, they can afford the good stuff and have no
reason to write a driver for a card that they will never
use themselves.

There should be some "Principle" to put a name to what
is going on.  I propose the tongue-in-cheek "Principle
of Noble Poor Computer Geeks transforming into
Rich Snob Computer Geeks".