Dialin Access to Cable Modem

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Tue Nov 18 07:38:58 CST 2003

Jon M. Moss wrote:

>Hello all!
>
>I'm finally taking the plunge and hooking up to Road Runner (DSL not
>available where I'm at).
>
>However, this means my husband will no longer have access to the Internet
>from work via our old dialup connection.
>
>Ideally, I would like him to be able to dialin to the home network and use
>cable modem for Internet access.
>
>Can you direct me to the correct HowTo's to setup a dialin server for
>Linux to do the above?
>
>I'm wondering if I should try using WindowsXP's ICS, McAfee's Firewall and
>making WinXP a dialin server (if I can) rather than trying to do a crash
>course in NAT, IP Masquerading, PPP, etc.
>
>Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Don't even mention that god-awful ICS and McAfee garbage.   Set yourself
up a IPCop firewall using an old computer (ipcop.org).  That will
protect you from the baddies.  You can add a modem to it and he can dial
in.  You become your own ISP at that point.  Cool, huh?  When I used
Freesco, it could do this too.  All from a bootable floppy.  But IPCop
is easier to use.