laptop question

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Nov 17 06:52:42 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Kelsay" <bkelsay at comcast.net>

> Try the Morphix LightGUI install.  I'm using that and it is great on
> older hardware.

One of the problems is that there's a period of rapid development in video
about three, four years ago where there were lots of good, very standard
cards coming out, but XWindows wasn't supporting them because it was going
throug teething problems with 4x.  Nobody was writing new drivers for 3x,
and 4x only supported whatever cards somebody donated to the developers.
Those of us who actually had to buy card from our own pocket ended up
without decent drivers.

For many of those cards, nobody's bothered to go back and fill in the
drivers, they're too busy with the latest and hottest stuff.

The latest Linux Magazine just gave a thumbs-up review to a rack-mount
keyboard/LCD combination that is priced just under $2,500.  Those people are
criminally insane!  You could get a great keyboard and LCD monitor for well
under $500.  For $2,500 it should be a kick-ass workstation!  That kind of
insanity shows up in what hardware gets support.  It shows up in SCSI being
a preferred protocol, when most of can afford IDE.  It shows up in $250
video cards getting drivers while generic $35 cards go without.