laptop question

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Nov 17 06:45:53 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leo J Mauler" <webgiant at juno.com>

> I'm sorry, I should have stated that "low-income people like me"
> have problems with laptop installs.

I've been lucky enough to salvage a couple of good systems, and to play
around with many that weren't mine.  I don't have much cash in the 300MHz
machine, and like you I've had to deal with trying to install Linux on the
older hardware.  I'm absolutely astonished at the proposal that Linux can be
a useful way to keep old hardware working - yeah, if it was top-of-the-line,
not that old, and you're lucky about the specific hardware models having
drivers.  Otherwise you're far better off putting MS DOS or Windows 95 on
it.

It's like the idea that you can make an XWindows terminal out of an old PC.
It's only true if it had just the right wicked high-end graphics card, and
if the old motherboard can take far more RAM than was typical when it was
current (see the 96M 380's).

Of course, if you can stick with text mode, you're doing great.  Run up
RedHat 6 or 7 and have yourself a fine time.