laptop question

Dan Mesimer dmesimer at kc.rr.com
Sat Nov 15 22:32:50 CST 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 15:01, Rick Franklin wrote:
> On the laptop (Toshiba Tecra / Pent. 600 / 256 RAM), there is a 1 1/2"
> black border around the viewable display, and the speakers play static.
> Have played with display properties and tried to enlarge the display in
> Sax ... no budge. PCMCIA well supported. A few other minor irritations.
>
> Google led to a few pages and posts where Mandrake and Red Hat were
> touted as having better laptop support.  One Mandrake page listed this
> model as supported.
>
> Any thoughts on best distro(s) for laptops? Life is okay on the WIN 98
> side ... just looking for justification to make this unit all Linux.

I have installed and used Redhat 8.0 and 9 on my older Dell Latitude
without much of a headache at all.  I don't know about the Toshiba
laptops though.

I get that 1 1/2" black border during the boot process, but when X
starts I get the full screen.

To use my Wireless card I either have to compile all necessary sources
or find good RPMs (based on my current kernel).

--
Dan Mesimer <dmesimer at kc.rr.com>