OT ergonomic VIM colors

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Fri Nov 14 21:47:37 CST 2003

Actually you need to know a bit more about color than to make this general
misstatement. The cones are called 'blue','green' and 'red', but
the *peak* colors they perceive are actually violet(440nm), blue-green(535nm)
and yellow-green(565nm). Yes blue may be in short supply, but both blue and
green cones respond to blue. And both red and green cones respond to green.
By far the most cones we have are for shades of gray. So black is always
a really good choice for one color. And judging on the fact that green
and the pigment yellow will give the best contrast. 'Color-blind' people
see red and green it's just that they see it as only/mostly red or green
depending on what cone gene deficiencies they have. Hence the colors red and
green shouldn't be mixed in a screen. Also combining red and green together
can also trick the eyes into believing it is seeing yellow. I have not
heard of this yellowing of the eye before, nor of losing the ability to
see blue. If we were to lose the ability to see blue our ability to
see in color would also disappear.

> humans. Because of the extreme wave length of these colors,
> their focal point is not exactly on the retina of the eye,
> but in front of or  behind it. Although the eye automatically
WHAT!!!!!???? Where are they getting this stupid statement from?
It's not a matter of focusing but a matter of excitation of a
cone in the retina. The wavelengths are in *nanometers*. Our
retinas are way larger than this. But again it is not a matter
of focusing on a color.

Brian