new to Linux

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Fri Nov 14 03:46:01 CST 2003

Leo J Mauler wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:39:22 -0800
>Rick Franklin <RAldenFranklin at sbcglobal.net> writes:
>

>>A few questions from a "newbie".
>>

>Linux and peripheral software change so frequently that in some way,
>we're all "newbies".
>
>But none of us will admit that we are, and I never said that.  :)

Welcome dude.  Everything old is new again.  Read that on a fortune
cookie once.  Or a *nix fortune.

>>Question #1: What is a good source for a new user to
>>learn how to properly install rpm's?
>>

>Ouch.  I don't like RPMs and avoid them like the plague
>(Slackware's package manager is good enough for anyone!
>ANYONE!  hahahahahaha!).  Having said that, find books
>on RedHat.  RedHat having invented the RPM package
>manager, they naturally have the most information on RPM.

man rpm .  I have not yet run into the dependency hell that others have
experienced.  I usually do a fresh load on a machine and pick most of
the stuff I want then and install all the libraries and dev tools I
think I'll need.  Currently learning more about this from working on
Morphix (Debian w/ an easy installer and minimal package set).  I'm
expanding my horizons.

>A good place to go for computer books which are slightly
>outdated but still useful is MicroCenter at about 93rd &
>Metcalf (Kansas side).  They have a book section with a
>large subsection (five whole shelves) of "bargain books"
>ranging from $1.99 to $5.99 in price (original prices
>between $19.99 to $60).

I eat those babies up for lunch.

>If you have a bigger disposable income than I do, buy
>something more current on the topic of the current RedHat
>distros.  That kind of book you can get anywhere.

Some books also come w/ a distro that they discuss within.  you can do
that to learn and then download and burn the most current on of your
choice.  I download and burn lots of distros large and small just to try
them out.  From the looks of Gentoo, Fedora, SuSE, Debian, most distros
will be going to netboot floppies or CDs if you have broadband to save
yourself the double download.  Install, then immediately update with the
current method.  The new method will be, run the net boot and you
install the most current.  There will still be .iso images that we can
download for someone else w/out broadband.

>>#2: What is a good CD burning program? ... Kb3 and
>>cdbakeoven are not friendly to me, and I did not want to
>>just give up and flip back to Nero.
>>
 >>Well if Nero is what you want, you might want to try Arson.

>>I've never used it myself, but all the documentation suggests
>>it works very similar to Nero.

I found and posted a link to Arson.  Find it in the archives under that
discussion on CD-burning software.

>>and 3: Are these typical issues addressed in your meetings,
>>or are the meetings devoted to deeper subjects only?
>>

>Of the few meetings I've been able to attend, the subjects
>range from programming projects to cable colors.  If you
>ask a question, it will be answered.  There are no "newbie
>snobs" at these meetings (and if there are, they hide their
>true colors).

Go ahead, ask a stupid question, we'll make more.

>Now, they might make fun of your hardware, if its really
>old, but otherwise you're going to enjoy yourself and get
>questions answered.

My hardware is older than yours.  Nyah, nyah!! And it runs Linux.  See
you at the meetings or on IRC.