HD Sizes...MoBo limits?

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Fri Nov 14 03:17:03 CST 2003

Matt G wrote:

>Hey Guys:
>
>I've never been good at knowing how much hard drive a motherboard can
>handle.  I know there were limits on older motherboards, but not so many
>limits on newer ones.
>
>I just purchased a new 80gb hdd, and I know it'll go in my PIII box just
>fine (I has a PCI ata/100 controller card.)  But, I'm not sure what'll fit
>in my old AMDK6 233 box.  Currently, there is a 4gb, and a 15gb in there.
>I'd really like to put the 40gb in there that I'll take out of my PIII, but
>I'm having trouble finding info on what will fit.
>
>I'm not sure the exactly make/modle of the motherboard in the K6 box.  I'll
>investigate.  But if anyone knows any general rules on this stuff, I'd love
>to hear.

I had a 20GB in a 233 and I migrated it to a 500MHz that I am still
using.  I have since ghosted the drive to a 40 GB and recently to an
80GB.  I'm a ghostin' fool.  I think w/ the older mobos, if you have
problems you can just make a small partition for /boot at the beginning
of the drive or if running linux after you install (boot to floppy or CD
to install), linux will override the BIOS.