Funny take on the Unix players as found on Slashdot

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Thu Nov 13 21:31:38 CST 2003

from:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/11/13/121205&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=152&tid=163&tid=185
post#: 7466332 or http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=85746&cid=7466332
To sum up:

AT&T: Sauron. They created The One Ring (Unix), tried to use it to exert a hold over thousands of
licensees, but lost it inadvertently (to the public domain and the valiant Berkeley).

SCO: Gollum. They got a hold of the Ring, they're convinced it's "My Preciousss..." and will make
their lives wonderful, yet they are essentially unable to do anything powerful with it. They are
also schizophrenic, having one happy Caldera personality that wants to be friends with Linux users
and one evil The SCO Group personality that wants to kill them all.

Torvalds: Wizard. RMS would fit here too- Perhaps Linus as Gandalf and RMS as Radaghast the Brown-
equally powerful, but one concentrating on hobbits and the other on birdies.

Red Hat: Humans you aren't sure you can trust.

BSD: Dwarves that can kick anyone's ass but are more content with chillin' in the mountains.

Ibm: Elves that you're pretty sure are on your side...

Mac OS: Hobbits. You think that you know them, that they're "mostly harmless" cuddly and cute, and
serves no real purpose; but then, one day one goes off and steals from a dragon.

I humbly submit that this be called the XaoRoyMne Theory of Unix Races.