Shell script

brad at bradandkim.net brad at bradandkim.net
Thu Nov 13 01:20:11 CST 2003

According to my testing, members of the group explicitly cannot cd into
each other's directories even though 'everyone else' can.  Since these are
ftponly users and there are no shell accounts on the server, I didn't
worry too much about others having that right.  I see your line of
thinking and that's why I tested it pretty well.  750 definitely allowed
ftp users to cd into each others directories and that's not going to work.
 I would like to know though if 705 will cause any other security
problems.

Brad

Brian wrote:

Wouldn't 705 allow *all* users to cd into
the directory, but not members of the group,
but since all *others* can so can members of the
group? I see no difference between use for 705
as opposed to 755? Or am I totally off here?