Shell script

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Wed Nov 12 19:47:50 CST 2003

Hello,

I'm new to the list.  I lived in the Lawrence area one summer about 3
years ago, and am considering moving back.  Of course, everything hinges
on landing a job.

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 09:59, Jason Clinton wrote:
> | P.S. These are the kind problems for which Larry Wall created Perl...
>
> I second that. Script languages (whatever your favorite is) are designed to do
> stuff like this. I would invest a bit of time in one. Any one of the themwould
> be fine. PHP isn't particularly designed for system administration, however.

Perl is great, especially since you can embed shell commands with the
backtick `.  I love PHP for web development, but it doesn't really do
much for system administration.  Kinda like using the hammer to put in a
screw.  It might work but you'll pound your thumb a lot trying.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Turner <jeremy at linuxwebguy.com>
The LinuxWebGuy