Fedora

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Mon Nov 10 16:29:40 CST 2003

Ryan Beisner (AE) wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Anyone have words (good or bad) about Fedora Core 1.  Any first-hand
> experience is welcome.  I'm a long-time RH user and I'm getting ready to
> either test out Core 1 or go with RHES.  I generally don't need support as
> such, but vendor updates and patches are a concern.

No experience with Fedora, but if you go with RHEL version 3, be aware
that RedHat pulled out the database servers (both mysql and postgresql),
apparently for inclusion in an as-yet-unreleased add-on product, so be
prepared to roll your own or grab them from non RH sources if required.

Apparently, no one runs any php/mysql websites on RedHat systems, or
maybe they just like alienating their customer base (they've sure been
annoying me!  Not just with the removal of the SQL servers, but with
their total lack of mentioning such a major step in *ANY* online manual,
migration guides, readme files, etc).

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net