A question about Fedora's package manager

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Sun Nov 9 23:51:24 CST 2003

On the other hand, Slackware jumped from 3.5 to 7 because no one would
have taken version 4 seriously with all the version 6+ distros out there.

Version numbering for what is essentially "shrink-wrapped products" has
become yet another marketing tool with no real relation to what is in the
package.

Individual open source tools can hover below version 1 (such as SLRN
v0.9.7.4) because no one is trying to sell them.  The authors can give
their applications *realistic* version numbers.

Slackware and Patrick Volkerding, on the other hand, are trying to help
Walnut Creek CDROM sell prepackaged Slackware CD sets, so Slackware has
to have a version number similar to the marketing version numbers used by
RedHat, Mandrake, and the other big, for-profit Linux distros.

And because *Microsoft* does it, every Linux distro has to do it, or
people will start saying that Mandrake version 23, which has no more
tools or applications than RedHat version 15, must be better than RedHat
version 15 because, hey, version 23 must be better than version 15,
right?  Its version number is higher!  Duuuhhh!

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 11:10:51 -0600 Brian Kelsay <bkelsay at comcast.net>
writes:
> Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
>
> >While it's been great to see new upgrades coming so quickly lately,
it's
> >difficult to have to deal with the fact that a system installed just
two
> >years ago is being made obsolete because it's a 7.3 system.  I think
looking
> >at the actuall running servers that result from the various
installations,
> >it would be more fair for RedHat to have labeled their current release
7.5
> >or so instead of jumping on the 9x bandwagon.  (Kind of like when MS
Word