woody/sarge on Barton MoBo? kt600 and/or which nvidia

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sun Nov 9 18:55:46 CST 2003

Hanasaki JiJi wrote:

> Just spec'ing it now.  Was hoping someone would know about the serial
> ATA, what memory to use? what company is good/bad for mem? Kingston?
> It has an onboard NIC.
>
> Also, seems like its only a OEM CPU and I dont know anything about
> putting a fan on or choosing one
>
> mobo
>     Chipset:VIA KT600 + VIA VT8237
>     Onboard Audio:ADI AD1980 SoundMAX 6-channel
>     Onboard LAN:3Com 3C940 1000 Mbps Ethernet
>         *** humm no 100????

I would go to pricewatch.com if I were you.  Search for the motherboard
and find a company that does a online full system config.  There are
several that advertise there that do this.  It is very similar to
Dell.com's method and if done right you only see the memory that is
compatible in the dropdown list.   Look for a barebones system w/ that
motherboard come to think of it.  Most of them have a method of
up-selling the RAM and drives and such.  You don't have to buy there,
just figure out which ram works.
Found this and it looks promising for the Serial ATA:

The first thing to do is try the latest versions of libata. libata in
-ac and -pac trees is ancient at this point, and I desperately need to
send Alan and Bero updates.

Here is the latest Serial ATA driver ("libata"), at its FTP site:
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/libata/

Patches are against BK snapshots of the 2.4 tree, so you may need to
manually patch drivers/scsi/Makefile and drivers/scsi/Config.in...

Let me know if you have more trouble after updating the driver.

       Jeff

P.S. This driver is also shipped in Fedora Core beta 2 (a.k.a. what
would have been Red Hat Linux 10), so libata/ata_piix kernel srpm and
rpms are available at
ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/redhat/redhat/linux/beta/severn/en/os/i386/

You might want to try Fedora's Core 1 release.  See the other threads
for a link.  Probably a 2.4.21 or 2.4.22 kernel will work.  Welcome to
the Bleeding Bloody stump edge of technology.

Somewhere there is a village missing an idiot.