OT- Computer Diagnostics

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sat Nov 8 04:48:37 CST 2003

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

>On Thursday 06 November 2003 08:04 pm, Brian Kelsay wrote:
>

>>>Since the new drive went in the system freezes
>>>regularly. This happens randomly and often enough that
>>>she uses her boy friend's system for school work.
>>>

>>I can look at it.  Email me off list.  Probably a bad IDE cable or a
>>misconfiguration somewhere such as the BIOS.
>>

>About the right vintage for bad capacitors on the motherboard, particularly in
>the power regulation section.
>
>Labor at a good shop is $60+/hr these days, what's it worth to save the
>scraps?

There is no way to know what is wrong without looking at it.  But I
diagnosed based on what you said.  You said you changed drives around
and that this was a "custom" box built by a friend of questionable
skill.  (my interpretation)  There are some common problems that you
will run into if you build enough boxes w/ a variety of parts.  If you
have bad caps the board will not work at all or get flaky after it warms
up, especially if the fan is dead.   I will LOOK at it free.  If it is
repairable, I'll discuss some consideration for my time.  I like working
on PCs so I don't mind doing it.  I also work close to where you said
you live.  That is the other reason I offered.  I work over at 63rd St.
and 435 in the Winchester Business park.

Just talked to her and arranged to take a look at it.