woody/sarge on Barton MoBo? kt600 and/or which nvidia

Hanasaki JiJi hanasaki at hanaden.com
Sat Nov 8 00:54:26 CST 2003

Could you send me the entire system specs?  I was thinking of the
following system parts from newegg.com
	Samsung CDRW/DVD Combo Drive (Beige)		$62
		8mb Cache, Model SM-352BRNS
	Western Digital 200GB SATA			$192
		WD2000JD 7,200 RPM 8MB
	A7V600 ASUS					$80
	TRUE480						$83
	AMD ATHLON XP 3000 "Barton" 400MHz		$209
	memory	1gig	- TBD	-  what do you suggest?
	Video		- TBD	-  what do you suggest?

Is it worth the extra ~$200 to go w/ a 400MHzFSB?  how much performance
is really gained from the combination of:
	400FSB			vs		333FSB

	Matching RAM for the FSB - What RAM goes with the 400 vs 333?

	Barton3000 @ 2.1GHz 512MB Cache / 400FSB
		vs
		Barton2800 @ 2.08GHz 512MB Cache / 333FSB

	VIA KT600		vs		VIA KT400

This is going to be a linux development box 98% of the time.  It might
periodically run Win2000 or XP.  Most of the time it will run:
tomcat/apache/mysql/postgress/java/IDE's  Gaming use will be low.

Since I tend to run Debian, any thoughts on potential problesm with the
following:
	Boot and install Debian - Woody - kernel 2.4.18 based
		network based install.. hmm what about the NIC?
	Download build and use kernel 2.4.22
	Upgrade to Debian Sarge