A question about Fedora's package manager

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Fri Nov 7 19:19:23 CST 2003

   This question is probably for the RedHat folks on the list, but I'm
   wondering: since there's no longer a motive to continually sell new
   "releases" of the operating system, does Fedora's package manager have
   the capacity to perform continual upgrade? ie. if I were to install
   Fedora 1 today, my system will be exactly like Fedora 3 when it comes
   out because I've been keeping up with the upgrades? This hasn't been
   true of The Big Three Distros in the past. I often wondered if it was
   a limitation of RPM or a business decision by those distributions.
   IMHO, the "continual upgrade" ability is the biggest boon of running
   Debian, Gentoo, Slackware, Arch, etc. I hated having to reinstall my
   whole system every time one of The Big Three came out with a new
   "release" just to have the latest Mozilla.