OT Novell

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Fri Nov 7 02:58:34 CST 2003

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

>On Wednesday 05 November 2003 11:23 pm, Brian Kelsay wrote:
>

>>I got one fact I definitely need to get straight.  Novell 6.0 on a
>>PII-300 w/ 256MB of RAM is dog slow when you run the Java desktop.  It
>>was slow from command line too, but not as much.
>>

>Is this a server that is actually running Novell as the base OS?  What do you
>do with a java desktop on a server?

Ask Novell why they used Java apps for server config.  Actually I
mis-spoke a little.  The desktop was the Xi Graphics commercial  X
server, but the ConsoleOne is written in Java.  It was the easiest way
to set up the initial directory.  The X server froze repeatedly and the
Java ConsoleOne was a big Zero.  I'm not sure if the options I wanted
were available from the novell admin cli app.  Novell has been trying to
get away from text mode.  That's what I read anyway in their docs.  I
was trying to dredge up what I remembered from 4.11, anyway it was a
disaster.  The box is still sitting next to my desk, OFF.

You know, I just remembered.  Novell 6.0 wouldn't recognize my 3Com
Nic.  This is one that Linux and Windows recognize no matter what
version from the last 5 years.  Thanks Donald Becker.  So I could only
do the initial setup of the Directory from ConsoleOne.