Novell rant, and other assorted linux rants

Kris Bodenheimer numa at thenuma.com
Thu Nov 6 16:23:20 CST 2003

Yep that letter was BS, Please find your sense of humour.

The funny thing is someone thought it wasn't.

I guess I don't understand what the big deal is with Novell.  I suppose
a lot of people have very emotional ties to them.  strange.

I would  argue that most of the Novell implementations people here have
worked with were probably vastly undermaintained, overworked, and
cobbled setups. This leads to a high FUD factor.

Also, whats the deal with linux people pissing on another server OS.
Isn't that sorta like calling the kettle black?  Hell, linux doesn't
even HAVE an effective unified login console for windows clients (And I
want one).  I know of shops here in KC that the secretary administers
the novell server, or windows server.  Nice GUI tools, reset password is
right there, they don't need a guru to run the damn thing.  But look at
the amount of effort recquired to set up a file sharing, email,
database, authentication, and vpn server in windows, then look at the
amount of effort to do it on a new novell rig, then look at the amount
of effort to do it on a linux box.  The linux box will be the lower cost
way, but, jesus, it would take a long ass time.
Why?  Because setting up a site wide authentication system is total
hell.  Linux sucks at it.  I have tried to figure out LDAP for 2 weeks
now, and all I end up with is dead machiens that don't let anything
logon.  Personally, I am tired of it.  So, now I have 2 servers, a
windows box, and linux box.  All because Samba+PDC+LDAP = unmitigated
hell that I don't have time for.  If there is any ONE thing that the OSS
world needs to fix, it's a directory system that your average new user
can set up.

Anyone here know of a linux distro that just abandons this crap of
passwd files? One that ships with a  complete out of the box database
authentication?  What, too processor intensive?  Yeah right.  Oh I know,
its because in typical linux fashion no 3 projects can get together and
agree on anything.  The X people, and the samba people, and sendmail
people, and the KDE/gnome poeple, and everyone can't just wholesale
chuck stupid and obviously dated unix standards.

Have you guys tried out windows 2k3?  Come over sometime, I will show
off my server in my house.  It's scary good, slow as crap.  Performance
sucks, but it WORKS!!!!  Get real people, linux REALLY REALLY REALLY
needs to get into the 21st century.  If any one thing is the downfall of
linux its the authentication structure.

Course I am sure I have offended someone with this, and I will get 4
emails back explaining how kerberos would do everything I want... blah
blah blah.  And after 2 more weeks of messing around with out of date
documentation, and 3 different distros, I still won't have it working.
no thanks.

Novell is EXACTLY what needs to happen to linux.  Perhaps Redhat is
changing its support/product line to go head to head with Novell.  As
far as companies that have barrells of money to throw at an issue, well,
it will be a VERY interesting battle.

A person can make a REALLY crappy linux server, or a win2k3 server, or a
crappy novell server.  I have done all three.  Though my most bungled
effort was the win2k3 server and gross incompetency on my part.

kris