Lets clear up some misconceptions

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Thu Nov 6 06:43:56 CST 2003

jlamar7 at comcast.net wrote:

>Regarding Microsoft operating systems, control software,
>and nuclear power plants:
>
>I don't know if any nuclear plants run Windows-based control
>systems.  Honeywell DCS control systems run Windows NT on the
>operator stations.  These are commonly used in chemical
>plants for plantwide process control.  I'm not sure if the
>backend containing the data acquisition and control systems runs
>Microsoft or a proprietary operating system, but the operator
>interface stations do run Windows.

I once worked for a food additives manufacturing company here in town
and they had NT 4.0 monitoring reactors.  But not nuclear reactors.  It
was some sort of processing reactor where beets got boiled/burned  and
chemicals extracted and added to other chemicals, making mono and
di-glycerides (they are in everything that is baked).  What was really
interesting is that what really controlled things like the valves and
the reaction mixture were PLCs.  Programmable Logic Controllers.   They
were just able to monitor and visualize the whole system under NT.  It
could have fairly easily been ported to Linux.  I read in Linux Journal
about six months ago that one company was doing just that.