Lets clear up some misconceptions

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Thu Nov 6 06:22:53 CST 2003

Jeremy Fowler wrote:

>Ok, I have no problem with people's opinions, but lets get the facts straight:

I got one fact I definitely need to get straight.  Novell 6.0 on a
PII-300 w/ 256MB of RAM is dog slow when you run the Java desktop.  It
was slow from command line too, but not as much.   It is probably the
Java that makes it slow, but what is the good of having a GUI config
tool when the whole desktop freezes up on you.  Granted this machine
just met the minimum specs, but I can have a BETTER Linux desktop on the
same hardware, running MORE services.  Two words: Kernel Tuning.  Two
more: XFCE 4.0  Just had to throw that out there.  Hell, my firewall is
a P-166 w/ 64MB Ram and a 1-2GB drive and it responds faster and runs
more services than that Novell server I set up.  Hell of a lot more
user-friendly too.