Stupid Question

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Wed Nov 5 15:20:13 CST 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 jmneedham at kc.rr.com wrote:

> My Linksys router went down and when I coaxed it back into working I
> realized that I don't remember how to basically release or renew the
> DHCP IP address and couldn't really find any details on it.  What is the
> command to see the DHCP status and to release or renew the DHCP
> information on the fly?

I'm not a kde expert, nor do I play one on TV, but this is what the dhcpcd
utility does.  I'm a command line junkie and found you can do everything
from a shell and keyboard:

dhcpcd -k

will send the dhcpc daemon the SIGHUP signal for it to send the
DHCP_RELEASE message to the server and destroy its cache.  This will get
you a new IP address.

dhcpcd -n

sends the SIGALRM which forces dhcpcd to renew the lease as in a normal
startup procedure.

More fun stuff from the dhcpcd manpage.