Zaurus PDA 5600?

David R. Kucharski dave at iemco.com
Wed Nov 5 07:10:40 CST 2003

Bradley Miller wrote:

> Does anyone have an experience or feelings on the Zaurus 5600's?

Funny that you should bring it up this week! Picked up the 5500 last
weekend and have been playing with it for a few days now.  There seems
to be a bunch of stuff already available for it.

I Don't have the microdrive capabilities, but it works well with CF and
SD Cards.  I was just searching handheld.org for more info. I had to get
the OS upgrade for the 5500 to the 5600-almost version to get a terminal
that could run.  but it's pretty cool having a bash prompt on a small
platform.  I've been running the mp3 player a bunch and have been
getting pretty good battery life with the display turned off.  128mb CF
card holds about 3 full cd's worth of music.

It's been a fun toy.  this version has an IR port, so I was thinking
about finding a universal REMOTE CONTROL that I could load so I could
sit in my easy chair, listen to music, play solitaire, and change the
station without even having to swap devices!!
not that I EVER get to spend enough time in the easy chair to require a
remote! But it would still make my brothers jealous!!

Let me know if you find any really PRODUCTIVE stuff.  I did find a port
of ethereal already and a vnc server/client for easy network sharing.  I
haven't had time to play with those yet though!

Have fun! I know that I am!!