Novell Announces Agreement to Acquire Leading Enterprise Linux Technology Company SUSE LINUX

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Nov 4 17:08:33 CST 2003

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 08:33 am, Michael Pratt wrote:

> http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2003/11/pr03069.html

For those of us not on broadband, Novell have announced it's purchase of SUSE
(formerly SuSE) Linux, following their recent purchase of Ximian.

While I'm glad to see Linux getting mainstream support, and while Novell
appear to be acquiring strongly complimentary companies, they've done this in
the past only to run them solidly into the ground.  I don't think much of
their vision or their ability to move forward off of dead technology.  They
remind me of the KC PC Users Group, who are still complaining that Windows is
a conspiracy by Bill Gates to make their 286's obsolete.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm concerned that SUSE will end up getting
the same smothering treatment Corel did, but I guess we'll have to wait and
see.