Failed to install socket filter

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Mon Nov 3 20:41:34 CST 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, brad wrote:

> Just adding a second IP address to a single physical NIC with the second
> IP address being in the same network as the first.  For example to a
> machine with 10.0.1.1/255.255.255.0 I want to add 10.0.1.2/255.255.255.0
> on the same eth0.  A problem I have seen with this is when pointing an
> access server to 10.0.1.2 the radius service hears the request, but then
> replies on 10.0.1.1.  Is that normal?  I have had other issues as well,
> but this one sticks out.  Could this be the problem causing my 'Warning:
> Failed to install socket filter' error in nagios?

Which RADIUS server are you using?  Does it have an option to bind to a
specific IP address?  Since RADIUS runs over UDP, it's possible for the
server to open a new socket when sending replies.  In your case, the reply
socket is apparently binding to the first available IP address (.1).
This is arguably a bug in the RADIUS server; it ought to bind to the
inbound address.  To get around this, you can set up the RADIUS server to
support listening on a specific IP address.

The "Failed to install socket filter" error sounds like you don't have
socket filtering (CONFIG_FILTER) support enabled in your kernel.  It
sounds like one of the Nagios plugins requires it.