Taking the Plunge-- Still

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sat Nov 1 04:45:42 CST 2003

DCT Jared wrote:

>On 30 Oct 2003 22:44:21 -0600, Sam Miller wrote:
>

>> Libranet. Every review is positive.
>>

>Here is a negative one. If it's Debian flavors, I recommend
>Knoppix, having spent the money for Libranet and finding
>myself very unsatisfied with it. If you want a free copy, I've
>got one to spare. Libranet was like using something from
>the 1950s. I expected better. Knoppix is much better, and
>free.
>
>-Jared

 I could recommend Morphix.  It slims down the install.  Everything is
in English by default.  There is an easy upgrade path, its Debian
unstable with tweaks.  Great support via the web forums.   The main
developer responds w/ hours or a couple of days.  If you want an all
Gnome, all KDE, gamers edition or Light GUI w/ XFCE (that's what I use
on my laptop), then there is a Morphix for you.  Or you can customize
your own Morphix, like the PHLAK.org guys did.  They took the Light GUI
version and added a bunch of security tools, Kismet, AirSNORT  and
others and made a security distro.   Its all about the mini-mods.
Check it out at morphix.org or morphix.sourceforge.net.   I'm hoping
some of the tools he is writing make their way in to regular Debian or
that somebody at least fixes/improves the Debian installer.  It sucks.
Morphix sucks less.

Brian