List Mail with Viruses?

KRFinch at dstsystems.com KRFinch at dstsystems.com
Mon Mar 31 17:54:13 CST 2003

Hey, you put it like Shatner would say it!

"viruses...are quite destructive...to...the Road Runner network"

:)

- Kevin

                    "Parker, Ron"

                    <rdparker at butlermfg.co       To:     Kclug <kclug at kclug.org>

                    m>                           cc:

                    Sent by:                     Subject:     RE: List Mail with Viruses?

                    owner-kclug at marauder.i

                    lliana.net

                    03/31/2003 11:03 AM

Leaving out the unimportant parts saying that, "viruses...are quite
destructive...to...the Road Runner network" explains a lot.  I keep
forgetting the MS and Time-Warner were both originally part of RoadRunner.
Who knows MS still may be.

Since the beginning the RR servers have been running MS servers and
software.  It wouldn't surprise me if processing an email that contains a
virus would be enough to infect a Windows server running Exchange.  I do
recall a big mess up a few years ago that took out email for a number of
weeks even with an MS SWAT team coming out to work on it.  (I didn't
complain too much, a sympathetic tech offered me two free months out of the
blue for the hassle right after I had received a free month for very minor
disruption.)

If sendmail is considered dangerous to your health, what about Outlook or
Exchange?

BTW in case you aren't aware RR stores your passwords as clear-text and
they
don't mind reading them back to you over the phone.  I consider that a
bigger security hole than sendmail or Outlook.