List Mail with Viruses?

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Mon Mar 31 16:26:00 CST 2003

If you use the link in the note (http://help.rr.com/faqs/e_mgsp.html) RR
claims they tested this late in 2002.  I have seen it a couple of time
in the last week.  Both times apparently on notes from KCLUG.

<Contents of virus filter help page>

Inbound Virus Filtering

Road Runner has launched a Virus Filtering initiative for all inbound
Road Runner e-mail, after a successful trial late in 2002. Virus
filtering is becoming increasingly necessary as viruses, worms, and
similiar issues are quite destructive to computers and the Road Runner
network alike. E-mail is one of the main ways that viruses spread across
the Internet.

This initiative is the first standardized inbound virus filtering effort
at Road Runner. E-mail will be affected only when if virus is found.
Road Runner will not read e-mails - only scan attachments for viruses.

The virus filtering will screen your incoming e-mail attachments for
over 50,000 known viruses, and more virus definitions are added on a
regular basis.

This initiative is for e-mail-distributed viruses only. All incoming
Road Runner e-mail attachments will be screened for viruses, and e-mail
without attachments will not be screened at all. Attachments without
viruses will be delivered with no alterations to the e-mail or the
attachment. Attachments with viruses that can be cleaned, will be, and
then delivered with a message added informing you that a virus was found
and removed. Attachments with viruses that cannot be cleaned will have
the attachments (or when possible, part of their attachments) deleted,
and the e-mail will be delivered with a message stating that a virus was
found and the file deleted.

--
A marble traveling at 22,000 miles per hour would strike with as
much force as a 400-pound safe traveling at just 60 miles per hour.