SuSE 8.1 and old laptop

Chris Hoelscher mohoelx at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 30 00:01:09 CST 2003

Hey - just wondering.

I have been in the Red Hat/Mandrake world since starting with Linux.
Thought it might be time to 'spread my wings' a bit and try a SuSE
load.  What do you think my chances of success are with the following;

HP Omnibook 5500ct
133 Mhz Pentium
32 Meg RAM (yeah, I know it will be somewhat slow)
PCMIA LAN card (non-descript, but it's worked in other Linux's without
any trouble)

And trying to load SuSE 8.1 from floppy (unit won't boot CD).

Largely just want to poke around with SuSE a bit and see if I think I
ought to move my main machine that way, so not terribly concerned about
performance, and don't plan to play any 3-D games  ;)  Just wondering,
because it's been "Loading the Linux Kernel" on the gui screen for quite
some time now... wondering if it's hung, or just really showing the
miserable speed I'll be getting....

MoHoel...