Spam Advise

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Fri Mar 28 09:10:14 CST 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Aaron wrote:

> incoming spam is either filtered or gets sent (manually) to a script
> that strips the header off and saves the e-mail address it was sent

I wouldn't worry about the legal issues with this.  The logic of this
scheme is simply not wise.  The IP address of the originating server can
be determined;  however, the email string volunteered to that number may
be of dubious nature.  You may end up flooding people exactly like
yourself in a retaliatory game from a delusional spammer.  Your best case
scenario is your address may be likely to be identified as a spammer.

Your best bet would be to do a "whois -h whois.arin.net [ipnumber]" and
add that network block to your iptables --unless of course, that network
has an active abuse team.  I was getting dozens of spams a day and now I
get one a week at the most.

OK, I confess.  There is one great thing that I love to do for getting
even.  Field trips.  Once I was lucky enough to get spammed by someone
here in Kansas City...

--
Programming C shells by the sea shore since 1994.
http://dattaway.org