Non-BBQ resturants

Kendric Beachey ak at kc.rr.com
Mon Mar 24 18:16:25 CST 2003

On Monday 24 March 2003 01:47 am, Peter Amisano wrote:
> >OK, does anyone have any resturant suggestions >*OTHER* than BBQ?
>
> For having a concentration of Italians, there is really only one good
> Italian restaurant.  Cafe Italia is the only one I would recommend.

Our esteemed colleague seems not to have made it to Lidia's, which is probably
my single favorite restaurant of ANY kind in Kansas City.  I nearly cried the
first time I ate there.  Lidia herself came around to say hello in the early
stages of the evening, which is probably for the best because had she come by
at the end, I'd have jumped up and hugged her and gotten arrested.  :-)  For
a good appetizer, watch her cooking show Saturday mornings on PBS.  She has
five restaurants:  three in New York City, one in Philadelphia, and one
in...Kansas City?  Why?  Who knows, but just thank the good Lord and hope she
stays with us.

> In agreement with the others, Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse is very good.

Another really good teppanyake room can be found in the Marriott at I-435 adn
Metcalf in Overland Park.  It's called Nikko.

I haven't heard anyone mention Izumi down in Olathe.  Fairly new, in a strip
mall, and (according to a Chinese friend of mine) run by Chinese rather than
Japanese folks, but they sure do aim to please.  They have teppanyake, a
sushi bar, a full Japanese menu, and even those little booths where you can
slide the door closed for some romantic atmosphere (although they do cheat
and let your legs hang down beneath the table rather than forcing you to sit
on your knees or whatever).

> If you like French, try Cafe Di Ami in Parkville.

French cuisine is something I've somehow managed not to partake of since I've
been here.  I've seen a couple of new French restaurants spring up lately,
though, including Cafe Paris on Metcalf.  Any good?

> Also, Pancho's for mexican, again, in Parkville.

Ah!  Mexican!  We could start another whole thread just on that!  :-)

To our new friends moving to KC, if you do like Mexican, you can't go wrong if
you find your way to Southwest Boulevard and just kind of walk around and see
what looks interesting.  Some of the best places will have Mexican music on
the jukebox, mostly Spanish-speaking clientele, and Mexican soccer on the TV.

My favorite Mexican places on the Boulevard:
La Fonda El Taquito (LOVE the refried beans)
Taqueria Mexico (cheap lunch specials)
California Taqueria (great patio dining)
Sol Azteca (aka Dos Reales in JoCo--great food and awesome prices)
Manny's
Ponak's (a little overrated in my opinion but pretty good)

I haven't been to La Bodega--looks kind of trendy and a little less casual
than I usually feel, plus it's always packed to the gills.  Anyone been
there?

Outside the Boulevard, I like:
Panzon's at 87th and Lackman
Dos Reales (aka Sol Azteca, see above)
Jalapeno's (a little less authentic)
Jose Pepper's (quite a bit less authentic, but tasty, especially the sweet
corn stuff)

One last gasp before signing off here:  Mediterranean food is alive and well
in Kansas City.  Most people will mention Jerusalem Cafe in Westport, but if
you're really in the mood for the good stuff, head up to Iliki on 64th in
North KC, about a mile west of I-29.  You will not regret it.

Say what you will about Kansas City, there are tons of great restaurants here.
It's one of the reasons I really love living here.

--
Kendric Beachey
ak at kc.rr.com

"The President is merely the most important among a large number of
public servants. He should be supported or opposed exactly to the degree
which is warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his efficiency or
inefficiency in rendering loyal, able, and disinterested service to the
Nation as a whole. Therefore it is absolutely necessary that there should
be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts, and this means that it
is exactly necessary to blame him when he does wrong as to praise him
when he does right. Any other attitude in an American citizen is both
base and servile. To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is
not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the
American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any
one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or
unpleasant, about him than about any one else."

--Theodore Roosevelt, Kansas City Star, May 7, 1918