Finally starting preparations for the move...

Monty J. Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Mon Mar 24 01:11:38 CST 2003

"Jim Herrmann" <kclug at ItDepends.com> wrote:

  [Street numbering schemes in KC Metro]

> The numbered roads are not avenues.  The numbered roads run north and
> south.  Some of the east-west roads are called avenues, Kansas Ave,

  My address is
    3000 W. 43rd AVENUE
    Kansas City, KS 66103

But that's because I live in the Rosedale section of KCK, which once was a
separate city that followed the KCMO(Jackson County)/Shawnee Mission
street-numbering scheme -
    larger-numbered streets to the south
    8 streets per mile with section roads numbered 7 modulo 8 (31, 39, 47,
55, 63, 71, 79, 87, 95, 103, 111, 119)
        (at least outside Downtown KCMO, where they are a bit closer)
    addresses numbered E/W from Main Street - State Line Road is 1900 W.

the assimilation merely changed the 'streets' to 'avenues', retaining the
numbering system otherwise.  At the county line, what Westwood calls '47th
Street' is referred to as '47th Avenue' in KCK, between Rainbow [2300 W] and
Mission Road [3100 W], whereupon the KCK name becomes 'County Line Road',
and the house numbers follow the numbered streets -- 7xx County Line Road is
several blocks west of 30xx W. 47th Ave.  Although the road curves into
Roeland Park's exclusive jurisdiction just east of Roe Lane, it resumes as
Merriam Lane crosses the county line, where it retains its dual name, most
strangely at the intersection with what is called Antioch Road in Johnson
County, which crosses 47th Street/County Line Road to become... that's
right.  47th Street in KCK.   From that intersection, you can go in 3 of 4
directions and be on 47th Street (although if you want to be picky, going
West you're just BARELY north of the actual county line, and therefore
should call it by the KCK name of County Line Road).

  Then there are the numbered east/west avenues in North Kansas City, and
the numbered streets in Kansas City North (which is not a separate city, but
that portion of KCMO in Clay and Platte counties which in fact surrounds NKC
itself, as well as some of the other municipalities), which get larger as
you go NORTH instead of south, but have either NE or NW in the address to
distinguish them from their mirror images to the south, which are NOT called
SE and SW, but merely E and W....