Home Networking - I need help

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sun Mar 23 04:25:30 CST 2003

I personally like running copper to the rooms with PCs in them and put in
access points for laptops only.  For a house you may only need one access
point that would cover your living room and either the front or back of your
house.   Keep in mind that #1 you only get 11Mbps from 802.11b (shared by
all devices connected to the access point) and 54Mbps from 802.11a (shared
bandwidth again) and 802.11g is still non-existent.  I believe that either
wireless standard can interfere with a type of wireless home phone or even
with cell phones.  802.11b is 2.4GHz, some home phones use this frequency.
The other problem with the wireless is the coverage range.  802.11b has a
range of up to 328 feet and 802.11a has a max effective range of 80 feet.
Check this out: http://www.80211-planet.com/tutorials/article.php/1569271
for a tutorial on which to pick.  My main point being that you lose your
100Mbps LAN at the outset because of the wireless solution.

When you build your firewall, choose one that has a built-in DMZ capability.
This is where your external webserver, ftp, etc. servers go.  On my firewall
(a floppy-based linux)  I just have to add another NIC in the firewall and
activate it as the DMZ.   In the Linksys firewall/router/switch products you
can set a port on the switch to be the DMZ.

All of the other things you mention are plans I have for my own home
network.  I am in progress with the TV computer (this definitely needs a
hard line to it for rich-media transfer) and the email server and web
server.

Brian Kelsay