Finally starting preparations for the move...drivers

JD Runyan JRunyan.Lists at dms.nwcg.gov
Sat Mar 22 05:08:15 CST 2003

On Friday 21 March 2003 22:31, Kurt Kessler wrote:
> That could very well be true. My thought was that
> people should actually take the "test" every four
> years, rather than just show up with their $12 to get
> their license renewed. Seems some people forget over
> time, the rules of the road.

I believe that the problem with drivers has the same root as most problems
people create.  They are selfish.  They believe they have the right of way.
They believe that thier time is more important than the guy they almost ran
off the road.   We live in a society that no longer values self control, thus
people act on these selfish desires.  Since in a car we are often alone,
there isn't even the social pressure of others to keep us from acting
selfishly.

My solution is simple.  Make the punishment for reckless and dangerous driving
very stiff, and stop letting people reduce moving violations to non-moving
violations.  This would increase the insurance on those reckless drivers.
Part of the reason everyone's insurance is so high is because the truly bad
drivers record's rarely show any moving violations anymore.
--
"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a
vacuum."