tcpserver error in /var/qmail/log/smtpd

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Fri Mar 21 16:03:08 CST 2003

richard sonnier wrote:
> I have qmail 1.51 installed on redhat 7.3
> It is working fine.
> I keep getting this error message in /var/qmail/log/smtpd. It is
> continuously putting out this. Fills up 98K in about 20 minutes.
<snip>
> @400000003e7ad44032772e8c tcpserver: fatal: unable to bind: address
> already used
> Anyone have an idea.
> Richard sonnier

Looks like you've got something wrong with whatever's listening to the
mail port.  Exactly what's wrong is hard to diagnose from the log
message (unless it's encoded in that long number), but I'd check for
overlaps in your tcpserver, daemontools (if you installed this with
qmail), xinetd, inetd, and sendmail (or any other stand-alone MTA)
configurations, and check what's currently running via "netstat -lnp".

You probably have two services trying to listen to the same port...

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net