Plug-ins, including Flash

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Mar 20 17:06:06 CST 2003

A site I supported until recently had four different plug-ins that were
required by various developers: Flash, Authorware, Crystal Reports, and
Filenet IDM.  These plug-ins run up to 20MB each, and have considerable
overlap in function.  When we reached the point where we were getting version
conflicts - one site had to have v.3, one had to have v.4 - we had to say
"enough" and refuse to install any more.

These systems can have some use if you are working within an intranet with a
standardised document management system.

On a publicly accessible web site they're just plain wrong.  Sure, they can
add flavor to the experience, but I object to a web designer forcing me to
download and install software that I did not choose.

If there were a mandatory registration fee, would you download the Flash
plug-in?  Have you downloaded the Nagware version of Apple's Quicktime?  Most
plug-ins have been fairly restrained about loading spy-ware and spam on a
user's computer, but some have been eggregious, and some are things like gator
which are primarily spy-ware.  Where do you draw the line?

Flash is allowing spammers to limit your ability to disable the spam - this is
outrageous!  If there is a legitimate reason to have controls for the flash
content, then those controls should be available, and one prominent one should
be "NO"!

What about the people who have marginal systems or connections, for whom the
plug-in alone is a significant load on their system?

What about the people who are running a locked-down corporate computer?  Are
they going to call their IT department and say "I want you to load Flash on my
computer so I can browse this job search site"?

If you want to dress your site up with special layouts and animation, go ahead
and use these things to "enhance the viewing experience", but don't rely on
them.

If you make your content accessible only through propietary, closed-source,
non-open-standard software you shut people out, to say nothing of betraying
the spirit of the open source movement.