Gentoo Install

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Thu Mar 20 06:39:32 CST 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Randall Randall wrote:

> While I, too, prefer vim, nano is far easier to understand for those
> who've never used a CLI editor before. :)

Anyone remember the shareware DOS editor qedit a decade ago?  That was a
nice, very powerful, and easy to use editor in 50K worth of assembly code.
I wrote to the guy and asked him if he would ever port it to unix.  He was
impressed that someone liked it enough to ask for a port and would try
when he gets extra time away from the family.

I haven't been able to find an editor quite like it in the unix world.
Qedit had three ways of doing anything: 1) control keys, 2) escaped pull
down menus, and 3) mouse clicking.  The editing abilities included
columns, nested macros, regular expressions, and powerful scripting
abilities through its own C like macro language (the TSE version.)

I'm still learning vi, but its taking forever to learn half those
things...

--
"It is the duty of a patriot to protect his country from its government"
-Thomas Paine