Routing question...

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Wed Mar 19 22:49:44 CST 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Rusty Brown wrote:

> The Cisco router has a static route to the .11 network set up. It can
> hit the .11 interface on the Linux router, but not thru it to the .11
> client.

What is the output of 'netstat -nr' on the Linux boxes and 'sh ip route'
on the Cisco?

Try running "tethereal -i any icmp" or "tcpdump -i any icmp" on the router
box, and ping either from the client to the Cisco router or vice-versa.
You _should_ see each ICMP request and reply twice - once each for the
inbound and outbound interfaces.

You can also run tethereal/tcpdump on the client to see if the Cisco's
pings are reaching it, and where the responses are going.  Similarly, you
can use the commands

term mon
debug ip icmp

on the Cisco to see what's happening ping-wise on its end.