Good article on Flash / Open Source / etc....

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Wed Mar 19 15:37:49 CST 2003

Quoting Bradley Miller <bradmiller at dslonramp.com>:

> If it wasn't for graphics and ease of use, the Internet wouldn't be where
> it is now.  Period.  I can see the next generation of web sites that use
> capabilities beyond javascript/HTML/etc.... and it has to run on something,

> and that something is Flash.   Flash isn't all about moving trinkets and
> eye candy . . . it's a very sophisticated application language that happens

Bull.  Flash is dancing spam.  Flash is the <BLINK> tag of the new century.

There is no useful information conveyed by 99% of the animation on web pages
today.  I think back to when Blair Lake was the Big Deal Internet Advertising
Agency in KC, back when advertising on the web was just starting.  They did a
splash page for their site that had a drop of water hitting a pool (lake, get
it?) and ripples going out.  People everywhere were going to their site to look
at the "cool graphics".  Try to find Blair Lake today.

Try to remember one thing: content.  The web is about content.  You can do
dancing spam and flash animation all you want, but once people have seen it
ONCE, they're done.  What will keep your site alive is content, not Flash.