Just one "plug" for Flash

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Wed Mar 19 15:15:54 CST 2003

A lot of times I see people wanting to talk about efficiency and speed . .
. let me give you a good example (not mine) that illustrates the point.

Let's say you have multiple  HTML documents, with forms, info, pictures,
etc....   You want to have the user fill out those forms an submit them.
With HTML, you are pushing the code to generate each screen of
information.  When they click next, or submit, the user is waiting on a
page to be shoved back via their dialup or whatever line . . . to their
PC.  You are basically describing a glass filled with water each time --
whether that's just a simple glass or an ornate mug.

Now how would you do that with flash?  Instead of describing that glass for
every page load, you send the glass once -- as the entire Flash movie.  The
items that need to be filled out or communicated to the user can be
requested -- the water just needs to flow into the pages.  You save that
screen redraw and extra HTML for every page load.  Less byte count = faster
download = happier user.  The initial page load might be slightly higher
depending on the movie complexity, but that slight burden is negated by the
improved user experience in navigating and interacting with the site.

Like I said in a previous post -- anything can be abused.  From email, to
animated gifs . . . it's been done.  You can't simply throw the baby out
with the bath water here on acceptance of Flash.     I believe one study
was well over 90+% of all web surfers have a Flash player on their system .
. . that's hard numbers to dispute if you can provide a value added product
to your client.  One of the questions that we wrestled with on this career
site was "would people use it" and the overwhelming answer was "they will
if they want a job".

Bradley Miller, Owner/Programmer/Designer
AccessZone Design - www.accesszonedesign.com
Blue Springs, Missouri
Phone: 816-228-3814             Fax: 775-254-6162
Toll-free: 888-872-4420 ICQ: 48555780