Good article on Flash / Open Source / etc....

Ron Parker rdparker at kc.rr.com
Wed Mar 19 14:23:14 CST 2003

* Mike Coleman <mkc+dated+1049348401.d4a086 at mathdogs.com> [2003-03-19 08:04]:
> Bradley Miller <bradmiller at dslonramp.com> writes:
> > http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/jd_forum/jd026.html
>
> The author may have succeeded in convincing me that I don't know the
> difference between "open" and "closed", or "black" and "white", for that
> matter, but I still know I detest Flash.

It read like one of those disinformation pieces put out by Microsoft.
They are not designed to say anything or to inform, but to blur the
edges and make you doubt what you believe.  I make the comment about
Microsoft because they have at least in the past encouraged their
employees to write letters to the editor and such to give the appearance
of Microsoft being supported from the grassroots level and don't forget
the "Shared Source" initiative.  It's all political maneuvering.

I was really intending to bash Microsoft.  It's just when I asked
myself, "Where have I seen this before?"  That was the answer.  Perhaps
Macromedia is doing similar pandering.  Somehow, when I first read the
article I failed to notice it was on Macromedia's web site, but now that
I see that I'm thinking this may be very close to the truth.

Would I prefer an libre flashplayer?  Yes.  Do I like all the "flash"y
web pages?  No.  By and large I find all the visual clutter and noise
distracting.  FastCompany had an interesting article on the success of
Google including some information on their minimalistic design approach,
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/69/google.html.  This is a good read
without all the post-modern uncertainty and disinformation.